My Instagram Feed

Saturday 23 November 2013

Dempsey Hill: Chop Suey Cafe

Service: 3/5
Atmosphere: 3.5/5
Food: 4/5
Price: $$$

Nestled in a little corner behind La Forketta, I finally got to try Chop Suey! My good friend Nora had been raving about how good it was for the last bajillion years and after looking at their menu online, I must admit I was quite excited to try it out.



The dudes that started the ever-famous PS Cafe (which is just right around the corner to Chop Suey) opened Chop Suey too, so I did have some expectations when I went. Nora and I went for the brunch, which was good but when I looked at the selection available I must admit I was a little bit disappointed because there wasn't as many things to choose from compared to their dinner selection.


My beautiful eating companion Nora with the Mellow Yellow (front) and Green Cooler (back)
The decor in the restaurant was so pretty. So much light came into the room because of the French windows, and the marble tables and rattan chairs reminded me a bit of the Raffles hotel. It would have been so nice to just be able to sit there and read a book or something. However, the space is a little bit small so crying babies do get amplified by a little more.


San Choy DIY Lettuce Cups 
Nora insisted that we have the San Choy DIY Lettuce cups and I'm glad she was because it was really good. It was really flavourful and slightly spicy, but not so much that it totally overpowered the other things in the dish. It's also one of those dishes that you can eat forever because it's good a tonne of vegetables in it and you feel good eating it, and that was definitely a plus.


Rusty Nails
Then came the Rusty Nails*, which I think is a really weird name for a plate of orange beef and long beans, but holy moly it was sooooo good. It was so weird eating it because it tasted a lot like American Chinese take-out style orange chicken but it wasn't gloopy or disgusting and the beef was soft and just... wow. Order it if you go. Unless you don't eat beef. Then that'd be stupid. ALSO, the Rusty Nails


Pumpkin and Cod Dumplings
We also ordered the Pumpkin and Cod Dumplings. It tasted good and was definitely special, but something I don't think I'd try again. The skin is actually made of pumpkin, so it makes it really thick and a little bit mushy, which was a bit too fusion-y for me because I really like traditional Chinese dumplings. That being said, the filling was really yummy and I knew it had to be good because Nora recommended it and she absolutely HATES seafood.


The Teriyaki Burger
The Teriyaki Burger was a great addition to the large selection of food - there was Japanese ginger in it, which I thought was really original and actually made the beef taste really good. One thing I would say about it is that you can't really taste the teriyaki flavour because there are so many other ingredients that just overpowered it. At least the beef was tender, though. 

Chargrilled Shisito and Edamame
I nearly forgot the Chargrilled Shisito and Edamame because I just had no feelings about it. I mean, it wasn't bad, it just wasn't good. It wasn't memorable and for some reason all the seasoning was outside the edamame pods, which didn't make sense to me.

Steamed Banana Pudding
Last but not least: the Steamed Banana Pudding. It was so much like the sticky date pudding at PS Cafe, that it made me almost not like it. Don't get me wrong, it was delicious, even though it was on the sweet side... I was just expecting something a lot more creative from them since a lot of their PS Cafe food is always consistently good. 

Overall, I would definitely recommend this place to people looking for a cute place for small gatherings of two to four people or for couples looking for a new place to go try out, but not for people looking to bring children or have a large party - the style of the food may not be everyone's cup of tea. Otherwise, go and enjoy yourself! I'm already looking forward to my dinner there sometime in the near future ;) 

Where is your favourite Dempsey Hill restaurant? Comment below! I'm aiming to try all the places in Dempsey before I leave Singapore.


Talk to you later!

x
Bev

*I thought they were called Screwdrivers, but *ahem* Nora corrected me. Oops.




No comments:

Post a Comment